Monday, January 24, 2011

Doing the business...





This one is 'Toby' mark 2. The first one, the last board i shaped over at Freshy is now down the South coast enjoying uncrowded days at Sandon point under a heavier mate.

I wanted a board with a little more curve in the tail because Toby 1 felt stiff when you got out on the face...Being quite neutral footed (that is i don't really push on my back foot much at all), I set this new one up with a lot more rail curve and instead of the deep single, I have gone from flat to light single into deepening double (see a pattern emerging here?!) into flat out the tail.
Hope fully the double will help loosen it up rail to rail as well
I also did something a little out of the ordinary for me. I wanted to combine the tail end of a 6'4'' with the front end of a my favourite 5'9''. More paddle but business in the tail.
So I crunched some numbers and moved the widepoint a couple of inches forward AS WELL as the apex of the rocker. I don't know how thats going to work, if at all, so fingers crossed it does what i hope!!

Its also 6'0'' x 19 1/4'' x 2 3/8''. However, the deck is flatter and the rails a little finer. So keep some volume for paddle and the rails will dig in a bit more me hopes...
Also taken a little area out of the planshape in the tail so it stays held in. Toby 1 was still a little slippery when the waves got overhead plus...

We'll see how that goes..

No comments: